Earthquake-Resistant Residential Wine Cellar in Santa Barbara, CA
Converting an exterior storage room, IWA built this contemporary climate-controlled wine cellar in Santa Barbara, California with a capacity of 936 bottles
Background & Goals
- Custom residential wine cellar in Santa Barbara, California.
- Convert exterior, below-grade room previously used to store gardening and pool equipment.
- Make cellar earthquake-resistant.
Converting a Storage Room to a Wine Cellar
- Constructed an entire airtight wall and door with combination lock.
- Used metal wine racks with black finish.
- Protected wine collection by using special straps to secure bottles to the racking.
- Maximized storage capacity at 936 bottles.
- Allowed for storage of bottles of various sizes up to 3 deep.
- Label forward display aspect made it inherently easy to locate and manage this large wine collection.
CellarPro Cooling System
- Selected a CellarPro 3200VSi with a rear duct kit and an aluminum filter.
- The 3200VSi provides optimum efficiency for the specific field conditions and room location.
- The cooling unit was ducted through the new wall beside the door, making it unnecessary to engineer the existing concrete walls.
- For this project, a cooling unit with built-in filtration system was necessary because the fresh air intake was being pulled from the outdoors, drawing dust and pollen.