Dedicated Wine Room for a High-End Customized Home in Tiburon, CA
With a focus on raw wine storage capacity, design and aesthetics, IWA built this dedicated wine room with a 2,000 bottle capacity in Tiburon, California.
Background & Goals
- Dedicated 300 cu. ft. wine room in high-end home in Tiburon, California.
- The wine room aesthetic had to match the rest of the high-end custom home.
- Maximizing bottle capacity was important.
- Creating a "wow" factor for visitors, friends and guests was also important.
Wine Room Layout
- Opposite the door we placed a beautiful tabletop archway with dramatic display racking above the arch.
- To enlarge the countertop space and maximize bottle capacity, we designed double-deep solid-wood diamond racks below the tabletop.
- In the dead corners of the cellar we created half-hidden bin storage.
- The racks extended from floor to ceiling, which also increased bottle capacity, and we designed a rolling ladder for access to bottles near the ceiling.
- We placed rectangular bins on the side walls for easy access to wood and carton cases.
- We used double display rows with LED accent lighting for maximum drama and impact.
Wine Room Design Elements
- Worked with owner and interior designer to choose finishes that would match the décor in the other rooms on that floor.
- Wine racks were made from mahogany with a dark walnut stain.
- The arched wine cellar door was designed to match the arch on the rear wall of the wine cellar.
- Tinted double-pane glass in the door provides thermal and UV protection inside the wine cellar.
- Stained ladder and cellar floors to match.
- Crown and base moldings, beveled ends and eased edges provided high-end finishing touches.
Wine Cellar Refrigeration
- Installed a CellarPro 3200VS cooling system.
- Located system in an adjacent room to remove compressor noise and create additional space inside the cellar.
- Moved the controls and digital readout of the cooling unit to the entrance of the wine cellar for easy monitoring.